Raindrop.io Bookmarks 01/15/2023
- The yaml document from hell
"Yaml aims to be a more human-friendly alternative to json, but with all of its features, it became such a complex format with so many bizarre and unexpected behaviors, that it is difficult for humans to predict how a given yaml document will parse."
- What does it look like for the web to lose? - Chris Coyier
"PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) are a perfectly good way forward, and Project Fugu has been doing well ensuring web apps "close gaps" on APIs needed on the web. What we need to press for is equal API access and capabilities for the web on all platforms and equal discoverability and distribution of web apps through app stores."
- NASA Says 2022 Fifth Warmest Year on Record, Warming Trend Continues | NASA
"The past nine years have been the warmest years since modern recordkeeping began in 1880. This means Earth in 2022 was about 2 degrees Fahrenheit (or about 1.11 degrees Celsius) warmer than the late 19th century average."
- Why Not document.write()? - CSS Wizardry - Web Performance Optimisation
"document.write() guarantees that these negative behaviours will manifest themselves, whereas other synchronous scripts can make use of alternate optimisations to sidestep them."
- Designing for the World: An Introduction to Localization | Spotify Design
"Localization can be defined in a number of ways, but at Spotify we think about it as the process of adapting our product and content so it feels local to each listener. This requires getting to know our listeners, and gaining a strong understanding of local cultures, user behaviors, and market nuances."
- Release Notes for Safari Technology Preview 161 | WebKit
"Added emulation toggles for prefers-reduced-motion and prefers-contrast in the Elements tab"