Raindrop.io Bookmarks 10/10/2022
- The Battle for the Soul of the Web - The Atlantic
"In 2015, Kahle put out a call for a "decentralized web," or a web that looked more like the one that early visionaries such as Tim Berners-Lee had imagined."
- t-mart/kill-sticky: Bookmarklet to remove sticky elements and restore scrolling to web pages!
"A bookmarklet to remove sticky elements and restore scrolling to web pages!"
- Where Web Components Went Wrong (And How We Can Turn It Around)
"Frameworks have had an easier time with SSR (though still with many problems) largely because they add an abstraction layer on top of web standards. This abstraction makes it easier to make code portable."
- I am not that excited about new CSS features | Home of fearless web developer Silvestar Bistrović
"While all major browsers are pushing new versions that support these new features, some users still don't use the latest version of their browsers. That certainly brings down the excitement."
- SpeedCurve | Element Timing: One true metric to rule them all?
"Largest Contentful Paint is a useful default, but the largest element isn't necessarily the most important from a visitor's perspective. Element Timing allows us to choose the elements that are most important on our own pages, and therefore measure moments that are most essential to our visitors' experience."
- The web gains 13 million malicious new domains per month • The Register
"Akamai reckons that, in the first half of 2022 alone, it flagged nearly 79 million newly observed domains (NODs) as malicious."