Raindrop.io Bookmarks 04/17/2021
- Working around the viewport-based fluid typography bug in Safari
"What I ended up doing is setting min-height: 1vw on the body element, which should be enough to cause a repaint but have no side effects on the remaining styles whatsoever"
- Hiking Apps & Outdoor Safety: A Critique | Viget
"While safety is ultimately the responsibility of the recreationalists themselves, as both a user experience designer and a search and rescue volunteer, I thought it would be interesting to investigate how some of these most downloaded hiking apps communicate information to help or hinder hikers in making safe decisions."
- Car Thing. Spotify's new smart player designed for your drive.
"Say hi to Car Thing. The smart player from Spotify that fills your car with music, news, entertainment, talk, and more."
- Visually impaired users complain after rail websites go greyscale for Prince Philip | Transport | The Guardian
"A leading sight charity has stressed the need for inclusive web design after rail websites switched to black and white to mark Prince Philip's death, leaving partially sighted people struggling."
- No, Google! Vivaldi users will not get FloC'ed. | Vivaldi Browser
"FLoC intends to do all of the profiling work within the browser. The browser sees everything you browse, so it gathers the data about your browsing habits and determines your preferences."
- Web Languages as Compile Targets - Jim Nielsen's Blog
"because web APIs don't always provide what people need, they're more likely to use a framework. This leads people to think "framework-first" as they build, which means they tend to think "platform-last"."