Raindrop.io Bookmarks 12/21/2020
- Google AMP gets a shock to its system as advisor quits, lawsuit claims foul play • The Register
"in a concession last month, following the US Department of Justice's antitrust lawsuit in October, Google said it will end preferential treatment for AMP pages in its mobile Top Stories carousel come May, 2021."
- I have resigned from the Google AMP Advisory Committee - Terence Eden's Blog
"Google's thesis is that the mobile-web is dying and people prefer to use apps - therefore making the web faster and more app-like will retain users."
- Ignore AMP · Jens Oliver Meiert
"No one knows why it's there. (It started using the magic spell of prominent results page display to get authors to use it. Nothing is left of the original lure of raising awareness for web performance, and nothing convincing is there to confirm it was, indeed, a usable "web component framework.")"
- The internet has been a lifeline in 2020 - but not for everyone. Governments must act. - World Wide Web Foundation
"Covid-19 has shown the internet is not a luxury but a lifeline, and underscored why affordable, meaningful internet access must be a basic human right."
- What Can You Put in a CSS Variable? / Coder's Block
"CSS variables (also know as CSS custom properties) can hold all sorts of things. Some of these things were not obvious to me, which is why I decided to write this."
- CSS Individual Transform Properties | WebKit
"individual transform properties are enabled by default in Safari Technology Preview 117. This means that, as in Firefox and Chrome Canary, you can now use the new translate, rotate and scale CSS properties to specify what have so far been functions of the transform property, including 3D operations."