Raindrop.io Bookmarks 10/14/2020
- The failed promise of Web Components - Lea Verou
"If components are designed in a way that requires JS, this excludes thousands of people from using them. And even for those who can write JS, HTML is often easier"
- patrick / articles / 3 things about CSS variables you might not know
"what happens when a var() function uses an undefined variable, how fallback values work, and how browser DevTools can help you."
- Cumulative Layout Shift in the Real World | NicJ.net
"This article will review real world Cumulative Layout Shift data, taken by analyzing billions of individual page load experiences collected via Akamai mPulse's RUM performance analytics."
- :focus-visible Is Here · Matthias Ott - User Experience Designer
"it lets you show focus styles only when they are needed, using the same heuristic that the browser uses to decide whether to show the default focus indicator"
- Alternative Text for CSS Generated Content | Adrian Roselli
"#anchor CSS Generated Content Module Level 3 (Editor's Draft) allows an author to specify alternative text for images (referenced through url()) or other non-text content (glyphs)."
- Cheating Entropy with Native Web Technologies - Jim Nielsen's Weblog
"a project built on abstractions from native web technologies--frameworks, tooling, language sub/supersets--will contain innumerable dependencies with countless major version changes over time."