Raindrop.io Bookmarks 08/09/2020
- font-weight: 300 considered harmful (and a fontconfig workaround) -- Tomáš Janoušek, Blog
"MacOS' somewhat bolder rendering of normal-weight fonts is therefore a very weak excuse for using font-weight: 300, which literally forces the browser to not use a normal-weight font (or bolder) unless there is no other font available."
- Usablenet - ADA at 30 Lacks Clarity For Our Digital Present And Future
"the Department of Justice's (DOJ) decision in 2017 to suspend clarifying the ADA's definition of public accommodation with regards to digital accessibility and how to achieve it has led to a void of guidance and a huge increase in ADA digital accessibility lawsuits."
- Source Order Viewer in Canary | Adrian Roselli
"The Microsoft Edge team added this as a result of my years' long campaign for a source order viewer to be built into the browser dev tools."
- Rethinking Accessible Drop Caps by Justin Gagne
"if you're a fan of inclusion, describing the look of the drop cap with alternative text is an optional pattern. A potential content first progressive enhancement win-win for everyone."
- Building greater accessibility into Facebook.com - Facebook Engineering
"Using React Context, we've introduced an API to ensure that the heading hierarchy is always implemented correctly, in descending order. When a heading is nested within another section, we automatically increase the heading level so that the heading structure matches the visual layout."
- Why all your inclusion efforts fail -- Hustle Crew
"We're in a new era of corporate trust where accountability is key. Your company's community goes beyond your current staff, customers and external stakeholders. We know one-off actions won't change the world because they haven't so far. We need new habits if we want everyone to feel like they belong."