Raindrop.io Bookmarks 07/26/2020
- Digital Accessibility Legal Update: ADA Anniversary Edition - Law Office of Lainey Feingold
"in 2000 I helped negotiate the country's very first web accessibility lawsuit between Bank of America and its blind customers and the California Council of the Blind. Eight years later the Target website case settled, and four years later there was a favorable court order in the Netflix captioning case."
- Translating Design Wireframes Into Accessible HTML/CSS -- Smashing Magazine
"Based on the cost of fixing a defect at the design stage as having a factor of 1x, these studies show cost differences that increase to 6x during implementation, 15x during testing after code commit, and as high as 100x if caught after the defect makes it into production. Research by the NIST estimates the defects fixing costs being as 10x during integration testing and 15x during system testing but only 30x in production."
- Ask an expert: Why is CSS . . . the way it is? - Increment: Frontend
"Second, the CSS Working Group is currently designing a proposal to add Unicode script codes as well as numbers for . It will allow developers to write easy-to-remember and maintenance-free CSS like ."
- CSS Vocabulary
"Click on the code or the sidebar to see which is what."
- How to Improve Largest Contentful Paint (LCP) and SEO | Webdesigner Depot
"Now that you know that LCP is important, what can you do to improve it by making content load faster? Google provides a number of suggestions, but the most effective technique is to optimize content for the device requesting it."
- Responding to Crisis: Web Performance Style - Doug Sillars: Performance Expert and Developer Advocate
"In this investigation, I've found that in responding to the covid pandemic, many thousands of images were added to the web with "covid" in the url path. I also found that in general, basic optimisation practices were not followed when adding these images to sites, resulting in images that are much larger than required, impacting load times and data usage for these sites,"
- Is Deploying an Accessibility Overlay or Widget Better Than Doing Nothing? | LinkedIn
"In addition to not meeting the requirements of the law--a purchase of an overlay solution diverts funds from addressing the issues in the website itself. Furthermore, choosing an overlay does not build capacity in an organization to understand and address accessibility issues or prioritize feedback from users with disabilities."