Diigo Bookmarks 08/25/2019
- Voice assistant usage now at 'critical mass' as Google Assistant crowned smartest - Search Engine Land
"The study found, "Google Assistant was once again the best performer, correctly answering 93% and correctly understanding all 800 questions. Siri was next, answering 83% correctly and only misunderstanding two questions. Alexa correctly answered 80% and only misunderstood one.""
- Setup of an Eyetracking Study
"even though the structure of the system may be similar, the technology has definitely changed from 2006 (check out those little low-resolution monitors!). Compared to 2006, eyetracking tools have certainly improved the calibration process and they've gotten better at hiding the eyetracking mechanisms in the eyetracker (thanks largely to smaller cameras)."
- Everything I Know About Style Guides, Design Systems, and Component Libraries - Lee Robinson
"A design system is a complete set of standards, documentation, and principles along with the components to achieve those standards. It is the marriage between your style guide and component library. One of the most popular design systems is Google's Material Design."
- How to make responsiveness super simple with CSS Variables - DEV Community
"This is much cleaner than what we had before. We're only targeting the :root, as opposed to specifying all the selectors. We've reduced our media query from four selectors down to one and from thirteen lines down to four."
- FAU | Who's a 'Good Boy?' Astro, FAU's Smart Robodog That's Who
"Using deep learning and artificial intelligence (AI), FAU scientists are bringing to life one of about a handful of these quadruped robots in the world. Astro is unique because he is the only one of these robots with a head, 3D printed to resemble a Doberman pinscher, that contains a (computerized) brain."
- Improving Video Accessibility with WebVTT | CSS-Tricks
"Accessibility is an important element of web development, and with the ever-growing prevalence of video content, the necessity for captioned content is growing as well. WebVTT is a technology that solves helps with captioned content as a subtitle format that integrates easily with already-existing web APIs."
- When to use img, img@srcset, and picture and source · Jens Oliver Meiert
"If simplicity (DX) is the priority, use img@srcset (easier than picture and source) or just img (easiest overall). If understandability and maintainability (likewise DX) are the priorities, just use img."