Diigo Bookmarks 06/02/2019
- Cake or death: AMP and the worrying power dynamics of the web | Andrew Betts
"The bottom line here is that the news industry is in the midst of a full blown disaster, society around the world is being starved of intelligent thought and the results are horrifying. AMP is partly responsible for this, and if there's a bug to be fixed, it is the people who invented it and still think it's a good idea."
- Before Netscape: The forgotten Web browsers of the early 1990s | Ars Technica
"And it was five minutes and we're sitting there. Nothing has happened. And all of a sudden the first download happened. It was a guy from Japan. We swore we'd send him a T shirt!"
- LayoutNG - The Chromium Projects
"LayoutNG is a new layout engine for Chromium that has been designed for the needs of modern scalable web applications. It is scheduled to be released in Chrome 76."
- Rebuilding the Solar System with CSS by Rob DiMarzo on CodePen
"Let's build the planets in our solar system -- complete with their relative rotation speed, tilt, and other photorealistic goodies -- using only CSS!"
- Reducing motion with the picture element
"This technique would definitely be helpful for posts with embedded animated GIFs in it. Authors would have to grab a static frame of a GIF as a fallback, so there's a bit of extra work involved, but the technical execution is pretty dang straightforward."
- Self-Host Your Static Assets - CSS Wizardry - CSS Architecture, Web Performance Optimisation, and more, by Harry Roberts
"SRI is a mechanism by which the provider supplies a hash (technically, a hash that is then Base64 encoded) of the exact file that you both expect and intend to use. The browser can then check that the file you received is indeed the one you requested."