Diigo Bookmarks 01/02/2019
- New year, New Horizons: NASA probe flies by distant Ultima Thule | collectSPACE
"The agency's New Horizons probe, which in 2015 was the first to zip past Pluto, flew by the even more distant small world "Ultima Thule" (officially 2014 MU69) on New Year's Day (Tuesday, Jan. 1). It was the first close pass by a spacecraft of a Kuiper Belt object, one of the primordial building blocks of the planets in our solar system."
- Performance Calendar » Don't use JPEG-XR on the Web
"The processing of decoding JPEG-XRs software-side on the CPU nullifies and even outweighs the potentially positive impact of byte size savings, especially in the context of a Single-Page-Application."
- The Grumpy Designer's Bold Predictions for 2019
"I predict that 2019 will see a mass movement to design based on the limitations of the early web. We will see a mixture of plain system fonts and large, uncompressed images that bring about a more user-friendly and primitive look."
- 'Web Accessibility Guidelines' turn 10 but still less than 10% of sites are accessible | AbilityNet
"An estimated 2-5% if it's done as a routine part of build and maintenance - which is far outweighed by the savings and extra business it brings."
- Toggling Animations On and Off, a Variation | Adrian Roselli
"I do want to show an alternate method to provide the checkbox to toggle the animations. A checkbox and default animation state that both change based on the user's settings."
- Google Fonts and font-display | CSS-Tricks
"A cruel irony, as their own Google Fonts (easily the most-used repository of custom fonts on the web) don't offer any way to use font-display."