Raindrop.io Bookmarks 10/08/2021
- Getting Started with PWAs [Workshop]
"Aaron will walk you, step-by-step, through the process of turning a website into a PWA. Following along, you'll author Web App Manifests and Service Workers and gain exposure to some next-gen APIs that tie them more deeply into the underlying operating system."
- My Challenge to the Web Performance Community -- Philip Walton
"Almost half of all pages that scored 100 on Lighthouse didn't meet the recommended Core Web Vitals thresholds."
- jQuery maintainers continue modernization initiative with deprecation of jQuery Mobile | jQuery Mobile
"The team announced that the cross-platform jQuery Mobile project under its umbrella will be fully deprecated as of October 7, 2021."
- What's the right font size in web design? - Pimp my Type
"Start with your body text and set it at a default size of 1em, which is calculated as 16 px in most browsers. Use relative units and from there, scale up the font size and ideally also the layout proportionally and make it larger on bigger view ports, since we can assume that the viewer is further away."
- The Challenge of Designing Websites for Large Screens
"Among the potential pitfalls of a super-wide layout is that some key items may require the user's cursor to travel quite a long distance. At the very least, it's an inconvenience and poor UX. At worst, it might be considered a pretty big accessibility issue."
- Improving The Accessibility Of Your Markdown -- Smashing Magazine
"Accessibility is a holistic concern, meaning that it affects every aspect of creating and maintaining digital experiences. Since Markdown is a digital tool, it also has accessibility considerations to be aware of."