Raindrop.io Bookmarks 12/11/2020
- The 3 CSS Methods for Adding Element Borders | Modern CSS Solutions
"You may prefer box-shadow particularly when you want to animate a border without causing layout shift."
- Using CSS Custom Properties to Adjust Variable Font Weights in Dark Mode | CSS-Tricks
"On screens with higher pixel densities (e.g. most modern phones, MacBooks, iMacs, etc.), the thickening effect of dark mode is often less pronounced."
- Axe-core Digital Accessibility Rules Hit 100 Million Downloads
"Deque Systems, the trusted leader in digital accessibility, announced today that axe-core, the most accurate and widely used open source library of accessibility rules, has exceeded 100 million downloads, growing at a rate of more than 4 million downloads a week."
- Web Performance Predictions for 2021 - Simon Hearne
"The Page Experience Update is the glue that will bind Product, SEO and engineering teams to deliver great web experiences. There are concerns about the key metrics involved, especially as they can only be collected (at the time of writing) on Chromium-based browsers."
- Making Websites Easier To Talk To -- Smashing Magazine
"Modern websites aren't inseparable from screens any more. Between phone assistants, home speakers, and screen readers, more and more people are using the web without even looking at it. Websites need to evolve in kind."
- Big picture performance analysis using Lighthouse Parade - Cloud Four
"Lighthouse Parade is a Node.js command line tool that crawls a domain and gathers lighthouse performance data for every page. With a single command, the tool will crawl an entire site, run a Lighthouse report for each page, and then output a spreadsheet with the aggregated data."
- 10 Things Front-End Developers Should Learn in 2021
"This piece aims to give you some guidance on what you should focus on in 2020 as a front-end developer to level up your game, whether you're just starting with programming or already have some experience."