Raindrop.io Bookmarks 10/17/2020
- Writing for global audiences. Draft clear content so users know how... | by Susanna Zaraysky | Google Design | Oct, 2020 | Medium
"Writers sometimes find it tempting to use idioms or slang to create a conversational and approachable tone. But it's important to understand that colloquial expressions can prove difficult or impossible to translate, reducing global comprehension."
- The New CSS Image Function. Future of CSS | by Elad Shechter | Oct, 2020 | Medium
"The second thing that the image function enables us to do is to load different types of images depending on browser support."
- Celebrate World Browser Day with Opera! - Blog | Opera News
"We are thrilled to celebrate World Browser Day for the second year in a row and we congratulate Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla and many web browsers companies for creating great applications that nearly five billion people use everyday in computers, tablet and mobile phones."
- The :focus-visible Trick | CSS-Tricks
"if you use :focus alone for this, it has a side effect that a lot of people don't like. It means that when you click (with a mouse) on an interactive element, you'll see the focus style. Arguably, you don't need that feedback as a mouse user, because you just moved your cursor there and clicked."
- AddyOsmani.com - Preload late-discovered Hero images faster
- Full bleed layout using simple CSS | Kilian Valkhof
"It's significantly more simple than building up a grid layout, and if I can use a simpler feature of a language to achieve the same effect, I'll choose that."
- Reducing the Site-Speed Impact of Third-Party Tags
"From Analytics to Advertising, Reviews to Recommendations, and more, it's common for sites to rely on Third-Party tags to provide some of their key features. But there's also a tension between the value tags bring and the privacy, security and speed costs they impose."
- Developing For The Semantic Web -- Smashing Magazine
"The dream of a machine-readable Internet is as old as the Internet itself, but only in recent years has it really seemed possible. As major websites take strides towards data-fying their content, now's the perfect time to jump on the bandwagon."