Diigo Bookmarks 06/20/2019
- The Technical Side of Design Systems at CSS Day in Amsterdam
"In my talk, I discuss a bunch of topics around the technical aspects of creating and maintaining design systems. Since the organizers are so awesome, they turned around and published the videos of the conference pretty much immediately!"
- Making Tables Responsive With Minimal CSS · Bradley Taunt
"Why should I care to use table elements? Simply put: accessibility and proper semantics."
- The Problem with Web Development Checklists, or: The Frontend Checklist, Revised · Jens Oliver Meiert
"from my view, meta descriptions are a software problem; and even if one maintains that they must be pushed on humans, it doesn't follow that this was mandatory, that a website could not live without meta descriptions."
- Drop caps & design systems - Vox Product Blog
"As it happens, that's because of the markup we introduced to fix our drop caps: some assistive technology--like the VoiceOver screen reader on Macs--notices the markup around our initial letter, and interprets it as a separate word."
- 5 Keys to Accessible Web Typography | Better Web Type
"changing font-smoothing to anti-aliased makes most sense for light text on a dark background (FIG 5). Don't misuse it just to make the text lighter and softer."
- The Anatomy of Accessible Forms: Best Practices | Deque
"the instruction is provided below the form field and is bound using an aria-describedby to the text field. If the instruction is not bound to form fields, then assistive technology users who use the tab key might miss key information."